Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finding Yourself..

What does it mean to find one's self? I always took this concept lightly, until recently.  I was given a book from my uncle for my birthday called New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckart Tolle.



In it he states: "When you don't cover up the world with words or labels, a sense of miraculous returns to your life."

It's very true, we label everything with words and sounds. Sounds do not make up the true essence of something, even something so simple as a rock.  The being of a rock is so much more than just the word rock..have I lost you yet? In the book he uses the example of your name.  Does the sound of your name encompass everything that is you? Of course not. Does a rose by any other name still smell as sweet? Yes it does!:)

When I was younger, everything was so much simpler, I thought I understood what life had in store for me.  The older I get, the more responsibilities I have, the more the ego cries out and the more my past tries to define who I am.  I have finally been able to grasp that and acknowledge the cycle that is getting me nowhere.  By recognizing it, I have "sparked" the true purpose of life and am continuing to find out my true self. Even by eating cleaner, and exercising it has allowed me to see clearly into what we were meant for as humans.  We are meant to run, jump, swim, laugh, cry, and love.  Working 8 hours a day, sitting in air conditioning, piling our faces with makeup, microwaving food, gorging ourselves, popping pills, contaminating the earth is definitely not our purpose, but we are surrounded by it. We have lost what it means to be "human".

Anyways, I can't wait to continue reading this book.  It has seriously spiked so much curiosity and self discovery and I would recommend it to everyone. 

"No matter what you have or get, you won't be happy. You will always be looking for something else that promises greater fulfillment, that promises to make your incomplete sense of self complete and fill that sense of lack you feel within."

Eliminate want from the ego, and you can focus on your true purpose..

No comments:

Post a Comment