Thursday, January 13, 2011

Animals Don't Need Dental Work

Ok, here I go with one of my theories. Basically, why do animals survive without the need to visit the dentist every 6 months and they don't even brush or floss? I think the health of one's teeth is mainly based on diet.  As generations go on, we are in constant need of braces, wisdom teeth removal, crowns, fillings, root canals and the list goes on. Why? Why do we need all this when we are the only animal that seems to have so many teeth problems?

Firs of all, animals chew hard things which naturally keeps the teeth clean.  We have to cook and prepare our food to our palate's liking and thus don't get the "roughage" we need to get deeper in between the teeth.  One thing I have noticed since I started the Paleo diet is that my teeth and mouth have seemed substantially cleaner.  After a meal I used to have the taste linger in my mouth for hours but now, because I'm eating already "clean" foods my mouth goes back to normal right after my meal.  Also, I am consuming a lot more meat now, and that is helping me floss.  Sounds gross, but the tiny fat and protein really gets worked in between the hard to reach places.

I remember growing up I always brushed my teeth and didn't eat much candy but ALWAYS had cavities, yet my brother never brushed and had perfect, cavity-fee teeth. What is more apparent, health or genetics or both? Well, as I have grown I have successfully visited the dentist and have been cavity free! Feels amazing but makes me wonder if diet can really influence the health of your teeth that much.  Maybe we are living so long we are outliving our own teeth. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment