Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FREEdom

With our anniversary of Independence right around the corner, I wanted to make a post about freedom and what it means to us.  I can honestly say that freedom is probably the greatest gift a human can have. Without it, we are enslaved in many aspects of life. Our country has allowed us to choose our career path through a capitalistic society.  However, in many aspects we are still bounded to the fundamental success-driven attitude of the masses.  Better some freedom than none, right?

Is it possible to be completely free? Can we be mentally free? Sometimes I'm a slave to my own mind.  Even in our sleep we are taken over by our subconcious.  I guess the closest we can get is through Enlightenment and surrendering to the present moment.  If we are no longer prisoners of the past and worried of the future we can approach freedom in every moment.  So heavy.

Ronald Reagan stated that "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."  With this, I feel lucky that I do live in a country that stands on freedom because it can definitely be a lot worse.  I have the freedom to choose my path in life, thanks to my country and my family.  Deep down, I know that my soul cannot be contained by anything.  Being rebellious, speaking what's on my mind no matter how dumb, makes me feel free.  I appreciate that feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment