Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Walk vs. Run

To get back into the wellness aspect of my blog I'd like to venture back into my exercise routine.  Still holding true to caveman form, I am a huge advocate of walking.  Our ancestors walked for long distances to brink uncharted territories for centuries.  Usually running was done in small sprints when hunting or escaping danger.

I have been walking a 4-5 miles for about 3 days out of the week and I'm feeling as toned as if I did the treadmill for the same amount of time.  I am not saying long distance running isn't as good, by no means but there is a definitely a higher injury rate, a media bias, and in my opinion a cause of a overcharged metabolism (have you ever noticed past runners become fat or obese?) not to mention a strain on the joints and muscles.  You can tell I'm a runner huh? :)

The key to getting the most out of walking is finding a trail or road that has various inclines to allow your heart rate to get into the aerobic training zone.  Be prepared to walk for a long time, since that is when you get the best results.  I spend 8 hours a day on my butt so I need to counteract that with at least 2 hours of walking as soon as I'm off work. Its good to supplement this with other workouts such as CrossFit or P90x yoga to get a full body workout.


Walking is fun, and when you slow down you really get to notice your surroundings.  It is even better with a walking partner! You'd be surprised at how therapeutic it is! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment