Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Role Playing

We have been designed as a product of a couple million years of evolution.  Physically and socially we are structured to be a certain way and play a certain role. For instance, african tribesman are tall and lean, a body type adapted to extreme heat.  The eskimos, however are short and bulky to protect them from harsh cold.  Now that we seem to live and adapt in every environment, our body shape doesn't seem to be linked to survival anymore.  We are now a mixture of all shapes and sizes.  Evolution has also helped structure our social roles.

Social roles are more complex, and vary depending on religion, class, and gender, amongst many other things.  Lately I have been contemplating the different roles of a man and a woman.  Similar to our physical roles being blurred, our social roles are more skewed than ever.

Growing up I never had that pressure that most girls had. We are usually told to get married, have kids and your life is set.  My parents always pushed me to follow my dreams, and my heart no matter what direction it led me into.  It is the social pressures that make me feel like I'm "missing out" if I don't get hitched or I'm not fulfilling some biological destiny if I don't end up having kids.  I also don't want to end up having a nervous breakdown during a weekday in Target because my kids won't stop screaming (I witnessed this before and it was awesome by the way).



With so many divorces and failed relationships nowadays I think we need to look at role playing in a different light.  Women don't need to be the submissive housewives and baby makers anymore.  It is a fact that men and women are different.  Also it is known that relationships are hard work. I'm sorry, but I already work 8 hours a day I don't want to come home and work some more.  Men and women can coexist and thrive  without roles and keep things fun.  Why move in together when sleeping over is so much sexier?  Why sign a forever commitment when spontaneity and freedom is so much more desirable?

My point is, society doesn't push these gender roles like they did in the past but there is definitely still a gleam of it there.  You'd think that we have progressed so much as a society that we can maintain peaceful relationships.  It is quite the opposite.  I have come to a point in my 25 years of existence to screw any societal pressures and begin to do what makes me happy.  That's not to say I will never get married or be a mom, but at this moment in life I can honestly say it feels good to know and understand that I am still finding out who I am.

I also realized that when I come up with my own explanations on life,  I used to always look for someone to agree, or gain some kind of acceptance on my opinions.  Now, I really don't care if I'm the only one on the planet that thinks this way.  It feels good to be able to speak my pure thoughts without a filter.  That is the ultimate freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment